[人物介紹] 瑪姬.德思禮、最初的四十名

發表於
找了一下似乎有些主題還沒有翻過,所以這回來貼幾篇比較短的。

Marge Dursley

瑪姬.德思禮

Marjorie Eileen Dursley is the older sister of Vernon Dursley. Although no blood relation of Harry Potter, he has been taught to call her ‘Aunt Marge’.

瑪喬麗.艾琳.德思禮是威農.德思禮的姊姊。雖然她和哈利.波特沒有血緣關係,但他從小就被教著要叫她「瑪姬姑姑」。

Marge is a large and unpleasant woman whose main interest in life is breeding bulldogs. She believes in corporal punishment and plain speaking, which is what she calls being offensive. Marge is secretly in love with a neighbour called Colonel Fubster, who looks after her dogs when she is away. He will never marry her, due to her truly horrible personality. This unrequited passion fuels a lot of her nasty behaviour to other people.

瑪姬是一位龐大而不討喜的女人,主要的興趣為飼育牛頭狗。她贊同體罰和坦率直言,兩樣被她合稱具有攻擊性的特質。瑪姬私底下愛慕她那叫作法布特上校的鄰居,他在她不在家的時候替她看狗。他永遠都不會和她結婚,因為她極其糟糕的個性。這種沒有回報的熱情是她對其他人糟糕舉止的主要來源。

Marge dotes on Dudley, her only nephew. She does not know that Harry Potter, who lives with her relatives, is a wizard. She believes him to be the offspring of two unemployed layabouts who dumped their son on their hardworking relatives, Vernon and Petunia. The latter, who are terrified of the prejudiced and outspoken Marge finding out the truth, have fostered this impression over many years.

瑪姬非常寵愛她唯一的外甥,達力。她並不知道和她的親戚住在一起的哈利.波特是一位巫師。她相信他是兩個把他丟給他們辛苦工作親戚,威農和佩妮,的無業遊民的小孩。威農和佩妮,極其恐懼有偏見和直言不諱的瑪姬會發現真相,多年來助長了瑪姬對哈利的印象。

When Harry becomes angry with Aunt Marge, who has been insulting his parents, and loses control over his magical abilities, she is blown up like a barrage balloon. Two members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad must be dispatched from the Ministry of Magic to deal with this incident and modify Aunt Marge’s memory. From that time forward, the Dursleys do not invite Marge to stay while Harry is in residence and he never sees her again.

當哈利生起不斷汙辱他父母的瑪姬姑姑的氣,而失去控制他的魔法能力,她被像是防空氣球一樣充滿了氣。魔法部得派遣兩名逆轉偶發事件小組的成員去處理並修改瑪姬姑姑的記憶。從此以後,德思禮一家再也不邀請瑪姬來和他們一起住,只要哈利在家,而他也再也沒看過她一次。

J.K. Rowling’s Thoughts JK羅琳的想法

I regret making Aunt Marge a breeder of bulldogs, as I now know them to be a non-aggressive breed. My sister owns one and he’s the most loveable, affectionate dog you could hope to meet. On the other hand, they do look grumpy, and on appearance alone seemed to suit Aunt Marge.

我後悔把瑪姬姑姑寫成牛頭狗的飼育家,現在我知道了牛頭狗是一種非侵略性的品種。我妹妹養了一隻,而牠是你希望可以遇到的最可愛、喜歡親熱的狗。反過來說,牠們看起來的確是脾氣暴躁,而這種外觀看來很適合瑪姬姑姑。

本文作者

• 梅林第三級
  • 121  2219

柳竹 @ericchu15

The Original Forty

最初的四十名

J.K. Rowling’s Thoughts JK羅琳的想法

Two of my most prized possessions are a pair of small notebooks, which contain my very first scribblings about Harry Potter. Much of what is written in them was never used in the series, although it is startling to come across the odd line of dialogue that subsequently made it, verbatim, to publication.

我最寶貴的兩樣收藏是一對小筆記本,裡面有著我最開始撰寫哈利波特時候的塗鴉。裡面寫的大部分東西幾乎都沒有被用在整個系列裡面,雖然說有時候我還是會很驚訝的看到幾句不尋常的對話逐字出現在出版的版本裡。

In one of the books is a list of forty names of students in Harry’s year (including Harry, Ron and Hermione), all allocated houses, with small symbols beside each name depicting each boy or girl’s parentage.

在其中一本筆記本裡面有著跟哈利同年級(包括哈利、榮恩、妙麗)的四十個學生的名字、他們的學院、還有小記號標示每個男生女生的血統。

While I imagined that there would be considerably more than forty students in each year at Hogwarts, I thought that it would be useful to know a proportion of Harry’s classmates, and to have names at my fingertips when action was taking place around the school.

雖然說我想像霍格華茲每個年級有明顯的超出四十位學生,我認為知道哈利一部分的同學會很有幫助,尤其是我在寫學校內的活動的時候。

As the stories evolved, I changed the parentage of some of the original forty. While some never appeared in the books at all, I always knew that they were there; some had surgery to their names after their first creation; a few emerged from the background to have their own secondary stories (Ernie Macmillan, Hannah Abbott, Justin Finch-Fletchley), and one, Neville Longbottom, developed into a very important character. It is very strange to look at the list in this tiny notebook now, slightly water-stained by some forgotten mishap, and covered in light pencil scribblings (undoubtedly the work of my then infant daughter, Jessica), and to think that while I was writing these names, and refining them, and sorting them into houses, I had no clue where they were going to go (or where they were going to take me).

當故事不斷的進展,我改變了最初四十名學生中一些的血統。有些學生從來都沒有出現在書裡面,但我知道他們一直都在那裡;有些學生的名字在一開始被創造之後有些改變;有些學生從背景演變成有自己的次要劇情(阿尼.麥米蘭、漢娜.艾寶、賈斯汀.方列里),而其中之一,奈威.隆巴頓,發展成一個非常重要的角色。現在來看這本有些不知哪來的水斑、有著輕輕鉛筆塗鴉(八成是我那時還是嬰兒的女兒潔西卡的大作)的小筆記本裡面的名單看起來非常奇怪。而且在我寫下他們的名字、改善他們、把他們分類到不同學院的時候,我完全不知道他們的旅程會走到哪裡(或是他們會帶我走到哪裡)。

Here, then, are the original forty:

以下,就是最初的四十名:

Abbott, Hannah 漢娜.艾寶
Bones, Susan 蘇珊.波恩
Boot, Trevor 特雷弗.布特
Brocklehurst, Mandy 曼蒂.布洛賀
Brown, Lavender 文妲.布朗
Bulstrode, Millicent 米莉森.布洛德
Corner, Michael 麥可.寇那
Cornfoot, Stephen 斯蒂芬.康福特
Crabbe, Vincent 文生.克拉
Davis, Tracey 特蕾茜.戴维斯
Entwhistle, Kevin 凱文.安特惠索
Finch-Fletchley, Justin 賈斯汀.方列里
Finnigan, Seamus 西莫.斐尼干
Goldstein, Anthony 安東尼.金坦
Goyle, Gregory 葛果里.高爾
Granger, Hermione - inserted in pencil, see crossed-out entry, below 妙麗.格蘭傑 – 用鉛筆插入,見下面被劃掉的條目
Greengrass, Queenie 昆妮.綠茵
Hopkins, Wayne 韋恩.霍普金斯
Jones, Megan 梅根.瓊斯
Li, Sue 蘇.李 或 李蘇
Longbottom, Neville - inserted in ink, see crossed out entry, below 奈威.隆巴頓 – 用墨水插入,見下面被劃掉的條目
MacDougal, Isobel (original name Katrina crossed out) 伊莎貝爾.麥道格爾 [原本的名字凱翠娜被劃掉]
Macmillan, Ernest 厄內斯特.麥米蘭
Malfoy, Draco - inserted in ink, see crossed-out entry, below 跩哥.馬份 – 用墨水插入,見下面被劃掉的條目
Malone, Roger 羅傑.馬隆
Moon, Lily (first intimation of Luna Lovegood, this name was never used, but gave me an idea for a fey, dreamy girl. She was named before I decided on Harry’s mother’s name.) 莉莉.慕恩 [產生露娜.羅古德一開始名字的開端,這個名字從來沒有被用過,但是給了我寫出一個古怪夢幻的女孩的主意。她的名字在我決定哈利母親的名字之前就有了]
Nott, Theodore 西奧多.諾特
Parkinson, Pansy 潘西.帕金森
Patel, Madhari 馬妲爾莉.巴提
Patel, Mati 馬蒂.巴提
Perks, Sally-Anne 莎莉-安.波斯
Potter, Harry 哈利.波特
(Puckle, Hermione - crossed out, name changed and reinserted, above) [妙麗.帕克爾 – 劃掉,改名重新插入,見上]
(Puff, Neville - crossed out, name changed and reinserted, above) [奈威.帕夫 – 劃掉,改名重新插入,見上]
(Quirrel, crossed out, subsequently used for teacher) [奎若 – 劃掉,後來用為教授名]
Rivers, Oliver 奧利佛.里佛斯
Roper, Sophie 蘇菲.羅柏
(Sidebottom, Neville crossed out) [奈威.賽巴頓 – 劃掉]
Smith, Sally (Georgina crossed out) 莎莉.史密[喬治娜劃掉]
(Spungen, changed to Spinks, Draco, all crossed out, re-inserted above) [史龐根,改為馬份.斯賓克斯,全部劃掉,重新插入,見上]
Thomas, Gary 蓋瑞.湯馬斯
Turpin, Lisa 莉莎.杜平
Weasley, Ronald 榮恩.衛斯理
Zabini, Blaise 布雷司.剎比

譯註:羅琳媽媽在寫名單的時候用的格式是[姓,名],柳竹中文翻譯的模式則是[名,姓]。名單中一些名字是書裡面沒有出現的,有些則是在名單上有較正式的名字。譬如阿尼.麥米蘭 Ernie Macmillan的正式名稱應為厄內斯特.麥米蘭Ernest Macmillan(Ernie為Ernest較親暱的稱呼);榮恩.衛斯理 Ron Weasley的正式名字則為隆納.衛斯理 Ronald Weasley(Ron為Ronald較親暱的稱呼,美國第四十任總統雷根也叫做Ronald)。

Cumberpeople @iamHoP

謝柳竹的分享~
我這種賴得去看英文的人表示感謝😃😃

想不到瑪姬也會有暗戀對象😰😰

瑞琪兒 @fish231618

瑪姬姑姑機車死了😱
希望牛頭犬以後咬她一口
或德思禮一家也行🤭

這是討論串底端!何不幫忙讓這串魔法煙綿延下去呢?

送出