[物地介紹] 黑湖、貓頭鷹、儲思盆

發表於

黑湖 The Great Lake

New from J.K. Rowling

The grounds of Hogwarts function partly as a nature reserve for magical creatures which have difficulty existing in Muggle-inhabited areas.

霍格華茲魔法與巫術學院的腹地有部分是作為魔法生物的天然悽地,因為牠們在麻瓜居住的地方難以生存。

The lake is full of creatures that would make a Muggle naturalist swoon with delight - if terror did not seize them first. There are Grindylows (vicious little water demons), merpeople (of a hardy Scottish strain) and a giant squid, which is semi-domesticated and permits students to tickle its tentacles on sunny days, when it basks in the shallows.

黑湖富有讓麻瓜自然學者會驚豔到昏倒的生物──前提是他們沒被嚇壞的話。湖裡頭有滾帶洛(邪惡的水生小惡魔)、人魚(擁有耐寒的蘇格蘭血統)和巨型魷魚。魷魚們是半被眷養的,晴天時會在淺灘上曬著日光浴,讓學生搔弄牠們的觸鬚。

Giant squid genuinely exist, though they are most mysterious creatures. Although their extraordinary bodies have been washed up all over the world, it was not until 2006 that a live giant squid was captured on film by Muggles. I strongly suspect them of having magical powers.

巨型魷魚是真的存在的,雖然牠們是最神秘的生物。牠們超乎尋常的身體雖然曾在世界各地出現,仍是直到2006年才被麻瓜捕捉到一隻魷魚活生生的身影。我強烈懷疑牠們有魔法能力。

J.K.羅琳的想法
J.K. Rowling’s Thoughts

The lake is the setting for the second task that the Triwizard competitors must face in Goblet of Fire, which is also my favourite task. I find it satisfyingly creepy; I like the diversity of the methods employed by the competitors to breathe underwater, and I enjoyed plumbing the depths of a part of the grounds that had never been seen before. In the original draft of Chamber of Secrets, I had Harry and Ron crash into the lake in Mr Weasley's Ford Anglia, and meet the merpeople there for the first time. At that time I had a vague notion that the lake might lead to other places, and that the merpeople might play a larger role in the later books than they did, so I thought that Harry ought to be introduced to both at this stage. However, the Whomping Willow provided a more satisfying, less distracting crash, and served a later purpose in Prisoner of Azkaban, too. The Great Lake (which is really a Scottish loch, apparently freshwater and landlocked) never did develop as a portal to other seas or rivers, although the appearance of the Durmstrang ship from its depths in Goblet of Fire hints at the fact that if you are travelling by an enchanted craft, you might be able to take a magical shortcut to other waterways.

黑湖是《火盃的考驗》中三巫鬥法大賽參賽者們在第二項任務必須面對的,同時也是我最愛的一項任務。我發現它可怕得令人滿意。我喜歡各個參賽者為了在水中呼吸所使用的不同方法,我也享受去直搗一個過去未被探究的地方。在《消失的密室》的初稿中,我安排哈利和榮恩跟著衛斯理先生的汽車一起跌入湖中,與人魚第一次見面。那時我有個模糊的概念,想著湖泊可能會領往其他地方,人魚則會在往後的續集中扮演更重要的角色,所以我決定哈利應該到時候再與湖和人魚有更進一步接觸。不過,渾拚柳提供了一個更好、更乾脆的撞擊,在後來的《阿茲卡班的逃犯》也有它的目的。黑湖(它真的是個蘇格蘭的內陸淡水湖)從來沒有發展成一個會匯聚到其他海洋或河流的門戶,儘管在《火盃的考驗》中,德姆蘭學院的船從底部現身這點透露如果運用施過咒語的船隻旅行,可能可以用魔法捷徑前往其他水體。

本文作者

• 高級巫師
  • 101  243

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

貓頭鷹 Owls

Owls are magical creatures most often used for delivering post and parcels in the wizarding world. They are known for their speed and discretion and can find recipients without an address. First-year students are allowed to bring them to school as pets.

貓頭鷹是魔法世界最常用來遞送信件和包裹的奇幻生物。牠們以速度和自身決判力著稱,而且能在沒有地址的情況下找到收件者。所有一年級的學生都能以寵物將牠們帶至學校。

New from J.K. Rowling

The old British superstition that it is unlucky to see owls flying by daylight is readily explained, for when wizards break cover to send messages by day, something dramatic must be afoot in the magical world. Muggles may subsequently experience the unpleasant aftershocks, without any idea of their cause.

在白天看見貓頭鷹飛行是不幸的──這是個古老的英國迷信──其實可以輕易解釋:因為當巫師利用白天來傳送訊息時,一定代表魔法世界發生了重大的事情。麻瓜事後可能會有不愉快的感受,而且完全不知道為什麼會如此。

As a (mostly) nocturnal bird of prey, the owl is inevitably seen as sinister by Muggles, but it has been a faithful servant and helpmeet to witches and wizards for many centuries. In spite of the many alternatives available for magical communication across long distances, (including Patronuses, Floo powder, and enchanted devices such as mirrors and even coins) the faithful and reliable owl remains the most common method used by wizardkind across the world.

身為幾乎是夜行性的禽鳥,貓頭鷹不可避免地被麻瓜視為是險惡的,但貓頭鷹卻已是巫師們好幾世紀以來忠心的僕人與幫手。雖然要跨越距離與人溝通有許多其他方法(包括護法、呼嚕粉、施過咒的物品,例如鏡子或甚至錢幣),忠誠又可靠的貓頭鷹仍是最被魔法界廣為使用的。

The advantages of owls as messengers are those very qualities that make Muggles view them with suspicion: they operate under cover of darkness, to which Muggles have a superstitious aversion; they have exceptionally well-developed night vision, are agile, stealthy and capable of aggression when challenged. So numerous are the owls employed by wizards worldwide that it is generally safe to assume that virtually all of them are either the property of the Owl Postal Service of their country, or of an individual witch or wizard.

那些被麻瓜視為可疑的特質正是貓頭鷹作為傳信者的優點:牠們在夜間行動,麻瓜則有迷信上的厭惡;他們有非常優越的夜間視力、行動迅捷、行蹤隱蔽,又能在被威脅時展現侵略性。在大多數被全世界巫師使用的貓頭鷹中,你可以大膽篤定,牠們實際上若非服務於各國家的貓頭鷹郵務,便是女巫或巫師的個人財產。

Whether because they possess an innate bent for magic (just as pigs are reputed to be innately non-magical), or because generations of their ancestors have been domesticated and trained by wizards and they have inherited the traits that make this easy, owls learn very quickly, and seem to thrive on their task of tracing and tracking the witch or wizard for whom their letters are intended.

不論是因為牠們先天擁有魔法性(豬則是完全相反),或者因為牠們的祖先都被巫師眷養和訓練,代代相傳的特性讓一切變得容易,貓頭鷹學得很快,而且在追蹤被指定要送達的女巫或巫師時都非常努力。

The mystical association between the name and the human who bears it has long been understood by witches and wizards of all cultures. While the process remains mysterious even to those who train up owlets to become wizarding pets or postal owls, the birds appear to be able to make such a connection between the name and its possessor that enables them to trace the witch or wizard concerned wherever he or she may be. An owl does not need to know an address, although witches and wizards generally add the place to the envelope on the off-chance that the owl is intercepted and the letter falls into other hands.

長久以來,來自各個文化的女巫和巫師都相當瞭解收件人姓名和其人本身間神祕的關聯。雖然這個過程對於那些訓練梟成為巫師寵物或送件貓頭鷹的人來說仍是微妙的,這些鳥似乎就是能將名字與收件者連結起來,不論他或她身在何處。貓頭鷹不需要知道地址,即使寄件人通常還是會在信封上寫下,以防貓頭鷹被截獲,信則落入他人手中。

Should a witch or wizard not wish to be sent letters (or tracked in any other way), he or she will have to resort to Repelling, Disguising or Masking Spells, of which there are a great range. It is possible to protect yourself from all correspondence, or all but that carried by a specific owl. If a witch or wizard is determined not to be contactable by a persistent creditor or ex-boy or girlfriend, they might try a masking spell specific to that person, but this ploy is easily circumnavigated by asking somebody else to send the owl. In general, it takes strong protective magic, and a willingness to forego a lot of birthday cards, to avoid the attentions of Owl Post.

若一個人不希望收到信件、或在任何情況下被找到,他或她必須使用驅逐咒(Repelling Spell)、偽裝咒(Disguising Spell)或遮蔽咒(Mask Spell)──方法極多。你能夠藉此杜絕所有通訊,也能單純只接收來自特定貓頭鷹的訊息。若一個女巫或巫師下定決心不跟很有毅力的債權人或前任男女朋友有所瓜葛,他們可以嘗試針對特定對象使用遮蔽咒,但這個方法也很容易失靈,因為他們只要請他人幫忙派送貓頭鷹就行了。總括而言,要避免收到貓頭鷹郵務會需要很強大的保護性魔法,而且願意放棄大量的生日賀卡。

Trained owls are expensive, and it is quite usual for a wizarding family to share a single owl, or else only use Postal owls.

受過訓練的貓頭鷹很昂貴。一個巫師家庭通常會共用一隻貓頭鷹,或者只用郵政貓頭鷹。

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

(接續「貓頭鷹Owls」)

J.K.羅琳的想法
J.K. Rowling’s Thoughts

My love of, and fascination with, owls long pre-dates the first idea for Harry Potter. I trace it to a cuddly owl toy that my mother made me when I was six or seven, which I adored.

我對貓頭鷹的愛與迷戀遠在有《哈利波特》作品的第一個概念前就已萌生:那是一隻我母親在我六歲或七歲時親手做給我的貓頭鷹玩偶,它很可愛,而我很愛它。

Of course, owls have been associated with magic for a long time, and feature in many old illustrations of witches and wizards, second only to cats as Most Magical Creature. The owl's association with wisdom was established in Roman times, for it is the emblem of Minerva, goddess of wisdom.

當然了,貓頭鷹跟魔法有相關已經很久了,也在許多對女巫和巫師的古老敘述中出現,僅次於貓──最魔法性的生物。貓頭鷹與智慧的連結在羅馬時代就存在了,牠是智慧女神雅典娜*的象徵。

Owl breeds shown within the Harry Potter books include the eagle owl (large, tufted and fierce-looking, owned by Draco Malfoy); the Little Owl (tiny, cute, but perhaps not very impressive, like Pigwidgeon, owned by Ron); and the Snowy Owl, which is also known as the Ghost Owl (Harry's Hedwig).

在《哈利波特》系列中出現的貓頭鷹品種包括雕鴞(巨大、毛髮叢生、長相銳利,為跩哥•馬份所有)、小鴞(袖珍又可愛,但恐怕不很令人滿意,就像小豬,為榮恩所有),及雪鴞,也被稱為鬼魅貓頭鷹(Ghost Owl),就像哈利的嘿美。

I made a few elementary mistakes when it came to my depiction of Hedwig. Firstly, Snowy Owls are diurnal (ie, they fly by day). Secondly, they are virtually mute, so Hedwig's frequent hoots and chirrups of approval and comfort should be taken as signs of her magically enhanced abilities. Thirdly, as countless well-meaning owl-lovers and experts kept writing to me in the early days, owls do not eat bacon (Hedwig enjoys a bit of bacon rind when she delivers post at breakfast).

我在描述嘿美時犯了一些基本的錯誤。首先,雪鴞是日行性的(他們在白天飛行)。第二,牠們其實是瘖啞的,因此嘿美時常發出的鳴叫、為取得認同的吱喳聲、感到舒服而發出的聲響都是因為她有魔法能力的關係。第三,有許多好意的貓頭鷹愛好者和專家在早期不斷來信,告知我貓頭鷹不吃培根(嘿美在早餐送達信時喜歡來一點培根皮)。

When I dreamed up Errol, the aged, long-suffering and overworked Weasley family owl, I had in mind a picture I thought I had seen, which featured a very comical, large, fluffy, grey, bewildered-looking bird whose breed I had never known. In fact, I wondered whether it had been a real photograph, or whether imagination was distorting the image. It was with sheer delight, therefore, that I rounded a corner on my first ever visit to the aviary at Leavesden Studios, where they were filming Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and saw a line of big, grey, fluffy, bewildered-looking owls blinking back at me, each an exact replica of the half-remembered picture I thought I might have dreamed. They were all playing Errol, and they are Great Greys.

當我寫到愛洛,那隻年老、經歷磨難又過度工作的衛斯理家貓頭鷹,我心中出現一張我以為我看過的圖片:一隻滑稽、龐大、毛茸茸、灰色又長相困惑的貓頭鷹,但我並不知道那個品種。事實上,我還懷疑那是張真正的照片,或那只是想像力扭曲後的結果。因此當我第一次參觀Leavesden Studios(拍攝《哈利波特:神秘的魔法石》的地方),在他們的鳥舍發現一整排與我腦中那個半是記得、半是憑空幻想出的畫面中一模一樣的貓頭鷹對我眨著眼時,我感到極致的愉悅。牠們是烏林鴞,全都扮演愛洛。

*「雅典娜」這個翻譯為希臘文,本原文的Minerva為拉丁語,是羅馬神話中對等於雅典娜在希臘神話中的角色,因此直接取用方便了解。

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

儲思盆 The Pensieve

A Pensieve is an object used to store and review memories.
儲思盆是項用來儲存與回顧記憶的物品。

New from J.K. Rowling

A Pensieve is a wide and shallow dish made of metal or stone, often elaborately decorated or inlaid with precious stones, and carrying powerful and complex enchantments. Pensieves are rare, because only the most advanced wizards ever use them, and because the majority of wizardkind is afraid of doing so.

儲思盆是個寬而中空、以金屬或石頭做成的碟子,通常有精心的裝飾或鑲嵌著寶貴的石子,而且蘊含著強大又複雜的魔法。儲思盆很稀有,因為只有法力深厚的巫師才會使用它們,也因為大部分的巫師們都害怕使用它。

The perceived dangers of the Pensieve relate to its power over memory or thought. The Pensieve is enchanted to recreate memories so that they become re-liveable, taking every detail stored in the subconscious and recreating it faithfully, so that either the owner, or (and herein lies the danger) a second party, is able to enter the memories and move around within them. Inevitably, those with things to hide, those ashamed of their pasts, those eager to keep hold of their secrets, or protective of their privacy, will be wary of an object like the Pensieve.

儲思盆會帶來的危險與它自身的力量更有關係,而非記憶或想法。儲思盆會重新創造記憶,用每個埋藏在淺意識裡的細節讓記憶完整地復甦,因此才能讓擁有者或其他人(但這時就有潛藏的危機)可以進入記憶,並且在裡頭移動。無可避免的,對於那些有事情必須隱藏、為過去感到羞愧、極力要守住秘密、或想保護隱私的人來說,對待像儲思盆這種物品便會更加小心。

Even more difficult than the recreation of memories is the use of a Pensieve to examine and sort thoughts and ideas, and very few wizards have the ability to do so. Albus Dumbledore is seen using the Hogwarts Pensieve in this way, notably in Chapter Thirty of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, when he adds thoughts to the Pensieve and Harry's face turns into Snape's; Dumbledore is reminding himself of the hidden connection between Snape and Harry (that Snape was in love with Harry's mother, and is now - though immensely grudgingly - honour-bound to protect him).

比起重新製造記憶,使用儲思盆來檢視和整理思緒是更困難的,只有少數巫師有這樣的能力,阿不思.鄧不利多使用霍格華茲的儲思盆正是作此用途。尤其是在《哈利波特:火盃的考驗》的第三十章中,當他加了些想法進儲思盆後,哈利的面孔轉為石內卜的。這是鄧不利多在提醒自己那兩人之間隱藏的關聯(石內卜愛上哈利的母親,而雖然相當不願意,他仍抱著榮譽般的義務來保護哈利)。

Traditionally, a witch or wizard's Pensieve, like their wand, is buried with them, as it is considered an intensely personal artefact; any thoughts or memories left inside the Pensieve are likewise interred with their owner, unless he or she has requested otherwise. The Hogwarts Pensieve, however, belongs not to any individual but to the school. It has been used by a long line of headmasters and headmistresses, who have also left behind their life experience in the form of memories. This forms an invaluable library of reference for the headmaster or headmistress of the day.

傳統上而言,女巫或巫師的儲思盆會跟他們葬在一起,就跟他們的魔杖一樣,因為它被認為是非常私人的物品。任何儲放在儲思盆裡的思緒或回憶也都同樣存在擁有者的腦海裡,除非他們有別的要求。然而,霍格華茲的儲思盆屬於學校而非任何一個特定的人,長久以來被歷代的校長們使用,以記憶的形式留下他們的生命經歷。這可是一座能給現任校長們參考資料的珍貴圖書館。

The Hogwarts Pensieve is made of ornately carved stone and is engraved with modified Saxon runes, which mark it as an artefact of immense antiquity that pre-dates the creation of the school. One (unsubstantiated) legend says that the founders discovered the Pensieve half-buried in the ground on the very spot where they decided to erect their school.

霍格華茲的儲思盆是由華麗的雕刻石頭所做成的,同時刻上略為修改過的薩克遜符文,是件富含歷史、能追溯回學校創辦時期前的古物。根據一個未經證實的傳說,學校的創辦者們正是在他們決定創設學校的地點,發現儲思盆半掩在土中。

The name 'Pensieve' is a homonym of 'pensive', meaning deeply, seriously thoughtful; but it also a pun, the 'sieve' part of the word alluding to the object's function of sorting meanings from a mass of thoughts or memories.

「儲思盆」這個名字取自「沉思(pensive)」的諧音,但它同時也是個雙關語:「sieve(篩選、過濾,動詞)」暗示可以從龐大思緒或回憶中整理出意義的能力。

(完)

備註:
翻譯中若用括號包含了原文,表示那是沒有在《哈利波特》系列中出現,我自己盡量翻出來的。

很久沒有翻譯了啊~趁暑假期間把PTM第四集最後章節玩完,也還有時間翻譯。
如果有任何疑問、或是翻譯不周的地方請千萬要告知!

芙默思 @carlleia

感謝翻譯!其實我也好想養一隻貓頭鷹啊=w=

另外我想請問,前面已經註明了是羅馬時代,那Minerva為什麼還要翻成雅典娜呢?是為了方便了解嗎?

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

@carlleia

謝謝芙默思的觀看,本人超愛貓頭鷹的所以在翻的時候很開心XD

沒錯,是為了方便理解所以直接這樣翻。Minerva為拉丁文,我就想希臘羅馬的神都會對等所以乾脆就...(打飛)
經芙默思提醒我還是去加備註好了>< 謝謝!

璃音衛斯理 @tanya127

謝謝你的翻譯~

我很想用用看儲思盆!

{使用儲思盆會更加小心。}

好像打錯了,應該是便

莉莉恩 @Love0427

謝謝板主細心的翻譯

並且讓我更加了解黑湖,貓頭鷹和儲思盆

還有本人也很喜歡貓頭鷹^_^😊

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

@tanya127