[生物介紹] 騎士墜鬼馬、吸血鬼

發表於

騎士墜鬼馬 Thestrals

Manifesting as black, skeletal, bat-winged horses, but invisible to all who have never been truly touched by death, Thestrals have a somewhat macabre reputation. In centuries past the sight of them was regarded as unlucky; they have been hunted and ill treated for many years, their true nature (which is kindly and gentle) being widely misunderstood. Thestrals are not marks of ill omen, nor (their spooky appearance notwithstanding) are they in any way threatening to humans, always allowing for the fright that the first sight of them tends to give the observer.

騎士墜鬼馬的外型漆黑、骨瘦如柴、長著蝙蝠般的翅膀,有著與死亡有關的可怕名聲,因為只有曾見證死亡的人才看得見牠們。好幾世紀以來,看到騎士墜鬼馬都被視為是不吉利的,因而牠們有多年都遭到獵捕和不當對待,牠們的本性(溫暖又溫和)被嚴重地誤解。騎士墜鬼馬不僅不是惡兆,對人類也完全不構成威脅(雖然外表恐怖),而且總能體諒人們第一眼看見牠們時的驚嚇。

Being able to see Thestrals is a sign that the beholder has witnessed death, and gained an emotional understanding of what death means. It is unsurprising that it took a long time for their significance to be properly understood, because the precise moment when such knowledge dawns varies greatly from person to person. Harry Potter was unable to see Thestrals for years after his mother was killed in front of him, because he was barely out of babyhood when the murder happened, and he had been unable to comprehend his own loss. Even after the death of Cedric Diggory, weeks elapsed before the full import of death’s finality was borne upon him. Only at this point did the Thestrals that pull the carriages from Hogsmeade Station to Hogwarts castle become visible to him. On the other hand, Luna Lovegood, who lost her own mother when she was young, saw Thestrals very soon afterwards because she is intuitive, spiritual and unafraid of the afterlife.

能夠看見騎士墜鬼馬代表曾見過死亡,並從中在情緒上明白死亡的意涵。不意外地,因為領悟的那個精確瞬間因人而異,牠們的重要性很晚才被真正理解。哈利波特看著他的母親在眼前被殺死卻仍有多年無法看見騎士墜鬼馬,這是因為當時他才剛脫離嬰兒時期,而他一直無法理解他失去了什麼。即使是西追.迪哥里的離開,他也是數週後才完全理解死亡所代表的終結。直到那時,他才看到拉著馬車從活米村到霍格華茲城堡的騎士墜鬼馬。相反地,露娜.羅古德雖然也在小時候便失去了母親卻很快就能看見騎士墜鬼馬,全是因為她的直覺、靈性,並且不懼來世。

While somewhat intimidating in appearance, these carnivorous horses are emblematic of a journey to another dimension, and reward all who trust them with faithfulness and obedience. Thestrals are native to the British Isles and Ireland, though they have been spotted in parts of France and the Iberian Peninsula; they seem to have an association with wizards who descend from the horse-loving Celtic peoples. Other parts of the world have their own equivalent to Thestrals.

儘管外型些許讓人膽怯,這些肉食性的馬兒象徵著另一個維度的旅程,並且會對相信牠們的人忠誠和順從。騎士墜鬼馬源於不列顛群島和愛爾蘭,雖然曾有人在法國某些地方和伊比利亞半島看過牠們。牠們似乎跟那些喜愛馬的凱爾特族後代的巫師有所關聯。世界上其他地方也有它們相等的騎士墜鬼馬。

原文港口鑰:https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/thestrals

一直以來都很喜歡騎士墜鬼馬(不知何故XD),所以當初就想要翻譯這篇了,結果遭到麻生衝擊,一拖就幾百年(不是#)
有沒有誰也很被這個魔法生物吸引的呢?🙋‍♀️

滿好奇在世界上其他地方的騎士墜鬼馬是不是也長得一副恐怖的樣子、牠們叫什麼名字,又或者當地人是不是也同樣避之唯恐不及。也許在較能接受死亡國家或文化下(墨西哥?),這種生物會有完全不同的命運呢?

本文作者

• 高級巫師
  • 101  243

嗜字狂安琦拉 @Musicy_

吸血鬼 Vampires

Although vampires exist in the world of Harry Potter, as shown by the literature that Harry and his friends study in Defence Against the Dark Arts, they play no meaningful part in the story. The vampire myth is so rich, and has been exploited so many times in literature and on film, that I felt there was little I could add to the tradition. In any case, vampires are a tradition of Eastern Europe, and in general I tried to draw from British mythology and folklore when creating adversaries for Harry. Aside from passing mentions, therefore, the only vampire whom Harry meets in the books is Sanguini in Half-Blood Prince, who makes a faintly comic appearance at a party.

雖然吸血鬼存在於《哈利波特》世界中(像哈利和朋友們在黑魔法防禦術課上學到的),他們在故事中並沒有扮演重大的角色。跟吸血鬼有關的傳聞數不勝數,在文學和電影中也經常被拿來使用,讓我覺得無法再從這傳統中延伸太多。不論如何,吸血鬼是東歐的傳統,而在替哈利創造敵人時,我通常試著從英國神話和民俗故事取材。因此除了偶爾提到之外,哈利在書中唯一遇到的吸血鬼是在《混血王子的背叛》裡的桑吉,他在一場派對上短暫露面,場面有些滑稽。

Looking back through my earliest notebooks, however, I found that on my very earliest list of staff, there was a subjectless vampire teacher I had forgotten, called ‘Trocar’. A Trocar is sharply pointed shaft inserted into arteries or cavities to extract bodily fluids, so I think it a rather good name for a vampire. Evidently I did not think much of him as a character, though, because he disappears fairly early on in my notes.

不過在回頭翻我最早的筆記時,我發現我最初的員工名單上有位沒有授課科目、被我遺忘的吸血鬼教師,名叫Trocar(自行音譯:托卡)。穿刺器/套管針(torcar一詞中譯)是一種插入動脈或體腔內*引流體液的尖銳長軸狀工具,所以我認為是個很適合吸血鬼的名字。但很顯然的,我並沒有太重視這個角色,因為他滿早就在我的筆記中消失了。

For a long time there was a persistent fan rumour that Snape might be a vampire. While it is true that he has an unhealthy pallor, and is sometimes described as looking like a large bat in his long black cloak, he never actually turns into a bat, we meet him outside the castle by daylight, and no corpses with puncture marks in their necks ever turn up at Hogwarts. In short, Snape is not a revamped Trocar.

有很長一段時間,粉絲間流傳著石內卜可能是個吸血鬼的謠言。雖然他外貌看起來確實不健康,而且穿著黑色長斗篷的他有時被形容像是隻大蝙蝠,他並沒有真的變成蝙蝠。我們能在白天看到他在城堡外,而且在霍格華茲也從未有任何屍體被發現脖子上有咬痕。簡言之,石內卜並不是強化版的托卡。

翻譯備註:如胸腔、腹腔、骨盤腔

原文港口鑰:https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/vampires

直到看到這篇才想到吸血鬼好像真的沒有在羅琳筆下的魔法世界佔有多大的地位XD
現在故事算是告了一個段落再回頭看,其實其他魔法生物已經讓這個世界相當精彩了,也不需要這種在其他作品出現到爛(欸#)的生物來參一咖(炸)

最後,對翻譯僅是興趣、絕非專業,因此若有任何不周或錯誤之處煩請告知,謝謝!

這是討論串底端!何不幫忙讓這串魔法煙綿延下去呢?