王十字車站King’s Cross Station
By J.K. Rowling

When Ottaline Gambol commandeered a Muggle train to serve as the new mode of transport for Hogwarts students, she also had constructed a small station in the wizarding village of Hogsmeade: a necessary adjunct to the train. The Ministry of Magic felt strongly, however, that to construct an additional wizarding station in the middle of London would stretch even the Muggles’ notorious determination not to notice magic when it was exploding in front of their faces.
當歐塔琳˙甘布爾*強徵一輛麻瓜火車作為霍格華茲學生新的交通方式時,她也在巫師村莊活米村建造了一個小車站:火車的一項必要附屬設施。然而,魔法部強烈地認為在倫敦的中間建設一座額外的巫師車站,即使是麻瓜們不去注意魔法的決心臭名昭彰也會超過極限,當它就暴露在他們的面前時。
Itwas Evangeline Orpington, Minister from 1849-1855, who hit upon the solution of adding a concealed platform at the newly (Muggle) built King’s Cross station, which would be accessible only to witches and wizards. On the whole, this has worked well, although there have been minor problems over the ensuing years, such as witches and wizards who have dropped suitcases full of biting spellbooks or newt spleens all over the polished station floor, or else disappeared through the solid barrier a little too loudly. There are usually a number of plain-clothed Ministry of Magic employees on hand to deal with any inconvenient Muggle memories that may need altering at the start and end of each Hogwarts term.
是伊凡潔琳˙歐平頓*,1849至1855年的部長,突然想出在新建的(麻瓜的)王十字車站上增加一個隱匿而將只有對女巫及巫師來說可通行的月台的這個解法。整體來說,這方法一直都運作得很好,雖然在隨後幾年中有微小問題,像是曾將滿是機智的咒語書的行李箱摔落的巫師,或蠑螈脾臟在拋光的車站地板上灑得到處都是,或是從堅硬路障間消失得有點太大聲。常常有一些素色衣裝魔法部員工們在霍格華茲每學期的開始與結尾,跟在前後處理需要替換掉的令人不便的麻瓜記憶。

J.K.Rowling’s thoughts
King’sCross, which is one of London’s main railway stations, has a very personal significance for me, because my parents met on a train to Scotland which departed from King’s Cross station. For this reason, and because it has such an evocative and symbolic name, and because it is actually the right station to leave from if you were heading to Caledonia, I never knew the slightest indecision about the location of the portal that would take Harry to Hogwarts, or the means of transport that would take him there.
羅琳的構思
王十字車站,倫敦的主要鐵路車站之一,對我有個私下重要意義,因為我的父母在從王十字車站開往蘇格蘭的火車上相遇。因為這個原因,也因為它有個如此引起回憶與象徵性的名字,還有因為如果你要前往喀里多尼亞1,它確實是正確的出發車站,我從不知道對這個地點的大門這最些微的優柔寡斷將帶哈利到霍格華茲,或作為帶他到那裡的交通方式。
Itis said (though where the story originated I could not tell you; it is suspiciously vague) that King’s Cross station was built either on the site of Boudicca’s last battle (Boudicca was an ancient British queen who led a rebellion against the Romans) or on the site of her tomb. Legend has it that her grave is situated somewhere in the region of platforms eight to ten. I did not know this when I gave the wizards’ platform its number. King’s Cross station takes its name from a now-demolished monument to King George IV.
據說(雖我不能跟你們說這個故事原本從哪裡開始,它可疑地模糊)王十字車站建於布狄卡女王*的最後戰役地點(布狄卡是一位古時不列顛女王,她領導了一場反抗羅馬帝國的起義)或是在布狄卡女王的墳墓地點上。傳說是她的墓位於8到10月台之間區域的某處我在替巫師月台取數字名時不知道這件事。王十字車站以現已拆除的喬治四世國王紀念碑得名。

Thereis a real trolley stuck halfway out of a wall in King’s Cross now, and it makes me beam proudly every time I pass...
現在在王十字車站有一台真的手推車從牆而出卡在半路,這讓我每次經過時都驕傲地眉開眼笑。
原文:Wizarding world 〈King's Cross Station〉

:
 *魔法部長 歐塔琳˙甘布爾及伊凡潔琳˙歐平頓,沿用並混搭板上相關文章的音譯。
   甘布爾似乎出現在《被詛咒的孩子》推車女巫之口,不過手上沒有書,印象中是翻甘布爾,於是選擇此音譯。
   布狄卡女王則是照維基百科翻譯,括號內的介紹為原本文章內容。
蘇格蘭的代稱。源自古羅馬帝國時期對大不列顛省以北的蘇格蘭地區代稱,喀里多尼亞人為蘇格蘭
   地區人的祖先,現多用於蘇格蘭的詩體代稱。資料來源:
維基百科喀里多尼亞

相關文章:
※關於霍格華茲特快車與九又四分之三月台,當作連續的三篇看好像很連貫:
[魔法世界史] 霍格華茲特快車──霍格華茲學生過去與現在的上學方式by跳羊